An Englishmans home

The Sussexes and the Right to Buy

So the Sussexes are leaving their jobs as royalty, to become financially independent and splitting their time between North America and the UK  but apparently they are keeping their home at Frogmore Cottage

Refurbished at the taxpayers expense at a whopping £2.4m  from the Sovereign Grant (money from the royal coffers which is paid direct to the Queen from the Treasury) to provide a home for Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, and now their baby son Archie, Frogmore Cottage had been earmarked for renovation as part of the Crown’s overall responsibility to maintain the condition of the Royal Palaces estate.  Although the infrastructure (pipes and the like) were replaced out of the Sovereign Grant, the Sussexes paid for the fixtures and fittings out of their own pockets. According to the Daily Mirror, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are coming under pressure to pay back the money spent on Frogmore Cottage but when all is said and done, the house still belongs to the Crown, not to the Sussexes and is made available to them by the Queen as their landlady.

When you have finished imagining Elizabeth R as the second coming of Rigsby, we can get to our point: what exactly are your rights when you live in home owned by the local authority?

You can get a discount on the market value of your home when you buy it if you qualify for a Right to Buy.  The maximum discount you can get is £82800 across England or £110500 in London.  This amount rises in April each year.

The discount is based on the value of your home, how long you have been a tenant, and the type of property you are buying.   You would usually have to repay some or all of the discount if you sold your home within five years and offer it back to the local authority if you sell within 10 years.

You can use the Right to Buy calculator to find out how much discount you could get

If your landlord has spent money on your home your discount will be less, and if they have spent more money on your home than it is now worth you will not get any discount.  You can ask for money back for works that you have done to the property ifyou have sought permission from the Housing Officer for them.

If you want to talk about buying your council house, whether or not you are the Sussexes, then give us a call on 01937 326006 or email us on

Share this post